Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dessert Coffee Deluxe


Coffee. I love the stuff. I don't have to drink it all day and every day, but when I do drink it, it has to be good. Not the average cup of weak watery stuff, but good quality coffee. Strong and sweet. This is my favorite coffee after a meal. I'm not much of a dessert eater, I don't really care for it. But every now and then we do have something sweet and when we do it's usually this coffee. It's very easy to make and very delicious. So, if you're a coffee, chocolate and cream lover, keep on reading!

Since I already mentioned I like my coffee sweet, it's probably needless to say I still use a sweetener for my coffee. I gave up sugar, but use sucralose in my coffee. Not the best stuff, I know, but while I love stevia for all kinds of sweetening, I can't stand it in my coffee. Sucralose (Splenda) may not be king of sweeteners, but at least it doesn't give me a spike in blood sugar. And since I don't use it for any other sweetening than my coffee, I'm fine using it.

This recipe is made with two different sweeteners I happened to have: stevia and sucralose. But, of course, you can use any sweetener you want. Or none, that's up to you.

For 1 cup of heaven:

1/2 cup (100 ml) strong black coffee or espresso
1.5 oz (55 ml) heavy cream (or coconut cream)
1 scant tsp cocoa powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Optional: your favorite sweetener

First, whip the cream. I sweetened the cream with a pinch of stevia (put in a little at first, stir and test sweetness befor you start whipping. You can always add a little more). Whip it until it's very firm and peaks can be formed.

Make the coffee. Mix the cocoa powder with the coffee and stir until all is dissolved. This is also a good time to add a sweetener if you want. Gently put the cream on top of the coffee. I like to use two spoons for that job (if you dump it in too fast, the cream sinks straight to the bottom. Not bad for taste, but not very good on the looks). Give it a sprinkle of cinnamon, put in a spoon, or a cinnamon stick like I did, and enjoy.

Some of the cream melts into the coffee, making it a chocolate-creamy coffee goodness. Some of the cream you can spoon straight into your mouth...so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment