Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Whole30, day 3: Curried leeks & pork belly


Day 3 and I'm feeling much better. The headache is gone and I'm feeling more like myself today. For breakfast we ate some scrambled eggs with bacon and for lunch I made zucchini soup (with a few bacon pieces) from home made chicken broth. I've been preparing all weekend for this week, making broth, ghee and easy lunches for me to take to work.
For dinner I made curried leeks. You can "curry" just about any vegetable. If you can handle a little heat you can use the red paste, otherwise you might want to use some yellow or orange paste. It's milder. Curry pastes are a blessing. Together with coconut they transfer any old vegetable or piece of meat into something very exotic and tasty. My favorite is Mae Ploy, because it doesn't contain any crap, keeps forever in the fridge, is cheap and tastes just like home made curry paste.


Curried leeks (serves 2):

about a pound of leeks (white part only), sliced in half and then chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 tbsp red curry paste (I used Mae Ploy)
1 oz (30 gr) creamed coconut
water (as much as needed)

Put some coconut oil in a pan (skillet or wok), and fry the curry paste in it for about a minute on medium heat. Add the creamed coconut in pieces and add a little water, as much as needed to make a thick sauce. You could also use coconut milk, then you don't need the water.

When the thick sauce starts to bubble, add the leeks and stir until the leeks are covered with sauce. You may have to add a little more water. Just make it as thick or thin a sauce as you like. Cook on low heat until the leeks are soft.

We ate this with some pork belly I cooked in a clay baker. I will do a post about this awesome piece of cookware later.

No comments:

Post a Comment