Saturday, March 3, 2012

Whole30, day 6: Bone marrow, beef & vegetable soup


I woke up today at 06:30, refreshed, awake and feeling just fine. I slept like a baby for 8 hours straight. Last night I was really tired, so I had planned on sleeping in today, but I guess my body had other plans. Could this be the diet, or is it just coincidence?

For breakfast I had a big mug of peppermint tea, tomato and avocado salad and two scrambled eggs. After that I took a quick shower and went to the market. I bought a bunch of fresh vegetables, smoked mackerel and a few pounds of haddock that was on sale. After that I went to a plain old supermarket to buy meat (that's hardly ever sold on Dutch markets). I whipped up a salad for lunch with daikon, a bit of fennel, kohlrabi, a bit of paleo mayonnaise and smoked mackerel.
As I came home I quickly put on a big pot with beef shanks, marrow bones and water, so it had some time to simmer for dinner. I just love bone and marrow broths, they're incredibly satisfying and flavorful. For dinner I made this marrow, beef and vegetable soup:

Bone marrow soup, with beef & vegetables (serves 2)

1 pound (450 gr) beef shanks (weight, of course, including the bones)
1 pound marrow bones
1 pound of assorted vegetables, cut into tiny pieces (I used carrot, leek, cauliflower, pepper and a bit of celariac)
1/2 pound (200 gr) ground beef
1.6 quart (1.5 liter) water
salt to taste

Put the shanks and marrow bones in a pan and cover with the water. Bring it to a boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer on the lowest heat possible for at least 5-6 hours. Take the bones and the meat out and let it cool enough so you can handle it. Leave the marrow in the broth. The marrow looks like wobbly fat. I use a stick blender to blend it with the broth, but you can also use a regular blender to do this, or use whisk to brake up the marrow and blend.

Turn the heat back up a little and put in your diced vegetables. Put a little salt to taste in the ground beef and mix well. Make tiny meatballs and put them in the broth as well, stiring so they don't stick together. Simmer on low heat untill the vegetables are soft and the meatballs are done. Tear the shank meat in pieces and put it back in. Now you want to put the salt in and taste.

*Note: I made this with both shank and meatballs, but that's personal preference. Of course you can put in an extra shank, for a little more meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment