Sunday, March 4, 2012

Whole30, day 7: Haddock & roasted vegetables


Yay! I finished my first week. That alone makes me feel good. The only thing that bugs me, is that I'm not allowed to weigh myself. I am really curious. But...I won't do it. I took this challenge, and I will complete this, including every single rule.

Is it my imagination or am I sleeping better? I went to bed last night at 12 and woke up, fully rested at 7:30. Normally, I wouldn't be rested with less than 8 hours of sleep, especially not in march. I'm better with less sleep in the summer. The early morning sun usually gives me more energy. But in this time of year, I always feel I have to hibernate, sleep for hours and hours...so I was a little confused when I woke this early. Oh well, more time to do stuff!

The boyfriend was gone for the day and I took my time alone to prepare my food for the work week. I made a large pot of chicken broth and a batch of beef curry with spinach that's good for at least three lunches. Dinner tonight was haddock with roasted vegetables and a little guacamole. Roasted vegetables are awesome, soft, with some crunchy edges and a lot of natural sweetness. If you've never tried roasting vegetables, you really should. It works with a lot of different veg, and I usually do it when I have some leftovers. Here's the method:

Roasted vegetables

Assorted veg (I had some squash, fennel, leek and red pepper)
Olive oil 
salt
(other herbs are optional, like oregano or herbes de provence)

Cut the veg in chunks, don't worry about size. Drizzle with good olive oil or some melted ghee or coconut oil. Sprinkle salt (and/or herbs) and give them a good toss. Put them in a preheated oven, at 400F (200C) for 20 minutes. Toss them again and put back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes. And that's it!

For the haddock (per fish)

cleaned haddock, head removed
3-4 lime wedges
fennel tops
olive oil
salt
some basil leaves
1 crushed garlic cloves

Make a few slices in the flesh. Put a lemon wedge and a basil leaf in each "pocket". Fill the cavity of the haddock with the crushed garlic. Put the fish in an oven proof baking dish. Drizzle some oil on top and give it a sprinkle of sea salt. Put in a hot oven, 425F (220C), for about 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment